Purpose

This blog is written so that I can spew my thoughts on a cheap networked hometheater system. I use as much opensource software as I can, but try to keep everything as easy as I can. When I am done, I will create a tutorial to sum up what I learned.

Follow by Email

Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Creating My Home Network

All,
So I figured out that you don't need a server but to have a central storage space, I do require either a router with a USB hub (Asus RT-N56U) or a NAS.  I really should add a NAS.  There is this opensource program called FREENAS which would work, but I think I would have a hard time adding programs to it (I know it can torrent, just click here but I don't think it can run any programs).  I could leave on computer to be the torrent/sort/scrap machine (Using these instructions) and just send all my media to the NAS once that is done (I think event ghost can do this for me).  But then I need to have 2 computers dedicated to the back end.  I only have 1 working spare computer.  I'll probably have to find another crap computer to be a NAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment